Re: ANALYZE to be ignored by VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ANALYZE to be ignored by VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-hackers
ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> In my workload, ANALYZE takes long time (1min at statistics_target = 10,
> and 5min at 100), but the updated table needs to be vacuumed every 30 seconds
> because seqscans run on the table repeatedly.

There is something *seriously* wrong with that.  If vacuum can complete
in under 30 seconds, how can analyze take a minute?  (I'm also wondering
whether you'll still need such frantic vacuuming with HOT...)

> So, I'm targeting only ANALZYE for now by changing ANALYZE to be ignored
> by VACUUM.

I think we need to understand what the real problem is with your test
case.  This proposal seems very messy/ugly to me, and I'm unconvinced
that it solves anything.