Re: pgsql: Fix search_path to a safe value during maintenance operations. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: pgsql: Fix search_path to a safe value during maintenance operations.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Mon, 2023-06-12 at 13:33 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I wonder why this commit used pg_catalog, pg_temp rather than just
> the
> empty string, as AutoVacWorkerMain does.

I followed the rules here for "Writing SECURITY DEFINER Functions
Safely":

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/sql-createfunction.html

which suggests adding pg_temp at the end (otherwise it is searched
first by default).

It's not exactly like a SECURITY DEFINER function, but running a
maintenance command does switch to the table owner, so the risks are
similar.

I don't see a problem with the pg_temp schema in non-interactive
processes, because we trust the non-interactive processes.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis