Re: Minimizing disk space - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Minimizing disk space
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> writes:
> With our test dump, the db (after import) is ca. 300M on disk, ca. half in
> WAL files (pg_xlog.)  If I could mostly get rid of the WAL (keep it to a
> bare minimum and run pg without fsync, something like that), the remaining
> 160 to 180M would be ok.

checkpoint_segments is the main tunable determining the amount of WAL
space.  Lowering it will increase the amount of write activity, but
for a ramdisk I don't think you care.

Depending on your usage patterns, it might be worth making autovacuum
more aggressive to ensure that table bloat stays under control.

            regards, tom lane