Re: how to get logger to not break up syslog messages - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: how to get logger to not break up syslog messages
Date
List pgsql-novice
l1@nym.hush.com writes:
> The problem I'm running into is that lines are getting broken up.

Yup, that's intentional.

> This causes problems with some other log-scanners I use.  Is the
> problem postgres or syslog?  I know syslog has a maximum message
> size, but it's a lot longer than what Postgres seems to use.

syslog's limit is platform-dependent, and at least on some platforms
it's pretty darn small.  If you know for sure what your platform
can tolerate, you can alter PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT in
src/backend/utils/error/elog.c.  There's no way to change it
without a recompile.

            regards, tom lane