Re: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> It occurs to me that this'd get a whole lot more feasible if one
>> postmaster == one database, which is something we *could* do if we
>> implemented schemas.  Hiroshi's been arguing that the current hard
>> separation between databases in an installation should be done away
>> with in favor of schemas, and I'm starting to see his point...

> This is interesting.  You believe schema's would allow a pool of
> backends to connect to any database?  That would clearly be a win.

No, I meant that we wouldn't have physically separate databases anymore
within an installation, but would provide the illusion of it via
schemas.  So, only one pg_class (for example) per installation.
This would simplify life in a number of areas... but there are downsides
to it as well, of course.