Duplicate messages (was Re: Rights for view) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Duplicate messages (was Re: Rights for view)
Date
List pgsql-general
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> Sorry; I had not connected the message with that thread.  I just
> checked, and see that what I replied to was a message that has just got
> retransmitted after several days.  Why does that keep on happening?

I believe the problem is typically
    1. newbie sends message to list
    2. newbie gets back autoresponse that message has been queued
       for moderator approval, because he's not a subscriber
    3. newbie subscribes to list
    4. newbie re-sends message; now it goes through
and some while later
    5. Marc scans the moderator queue and approves the original copy

It would be real nice if this could be fixed, preferably in an automated
way that would reduce Marc's manual load instead of increase it.
I certainly don't expect Marc to remember messages that have been
reposted.

I wonder if we could somehow connect majordomo to the moderator's
message queue, so that when someone subscribes to a list, pending
messages from that someone to that list are automatically removed from
the queue and posted (or at least reprocessed; they might still get
held if they fail to pass some other filter).  Or bounce them back to
the someone with a note suggesting he repost for himself.  It'd be
important that the new subscriber be informed that the messages are
being released before he gets to step 4 for himself.

I have no idea how feasible this is, but if we could implement this
or some variant, it'd reduce Marc's workload as well as annoyance to
existing subscribers.

            regards, tom lane