Re: JDBC driver 9.2 sending arbitrary timezone - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: JDBC driver 9.2 sending arbitrary timezone
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Alexandre Gattiker <agattiker@gmail.com> writes:
> PostgreSQL jdbc jar 9.2-1003-jdbc4 is failing for me, while version
> 9.1-901-1.jdbc4 works fine. I was able to reproduce the issue by running
> the jdbc driver's unit tests.
> It appears the client is sending to the server the
> timezone Europe/Busingen, although my timezone is set to Europe/Zurich.

According to the Olsen timezone database, Europe/Busingen is an alias for
Europe/Zurich.  So while it's an interesting question why the client side
is sending "Europe/Busingen" not "Europe/Zurich", you should get the same
result either way.  And it's not hard to imagine that there might be
logic somewhere inside Java that causes one to be substituted for the
other.

However, a look into the Olsen source files suggests that Europe/Busingen
was only added as a zone name in 2011.  When was your last server update?
I don't know whether EDB relies on the system tzdata package, so either
the postgres package or the tzdata package might be old ...

            regards, tom lane