Re: How to use SPI_saveplan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to use SPI_saveplan
Date
List pgsql-general
Jack Orenstein <jao@geophile.com> writes:
> I'm missing something very basic. If I do this:

>      Datum foobar(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
>      {
>          void* plan = SPI_prepare(...);
>          void* saved_plan = SPI_saveplan(plan);
>      }

> then how can I access the saved plan in a later invocation of foobar?

It's up to you to save the pointer somewhere where you can find it again
when you need it.  If there's only one interesting plan, use a static
variable.  Otherwise, you'll need some sort of data structure to map
from what-you-need to the-plan-that-does-it.  You can find examples of
these approaches in the PG sources (from memory, ruleutils.c has some
examples of the former approach while ri_triggers.c does the latter).

            regards, tom lane