Re: Patch to return last tid - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch to return last tid
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Arturo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jos=E8?= Montes Sinning" <mitosys@colomsat.net.co> writes:
> I am talking about select <select-list> from <table> where oid=<oid>
> When the table has thousands records this query is executed by Postgres
> as sequential scan.

Create an index on OID, if you want to use it to find rows quickly...

> The other problems come from insert. We are paying
> an extra cost when insert a row because oid sequence computation.

I've never seen any evidence that generating an OID is a significant
part of the time needed to do an INSERT (and yes, I've done profiling
of such things).

            regards, tom lane