Re: Trigger on 'create table' ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Trigger on 'create table' ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> writes:
> Now, if we changed the geometry type so that when one defined a geometry
> column, one had to include info about what SRID and what dimension it
> was, (ala varchar(243)) maybe the whole schmeer could reside in pg_class
> and geometry_columns would be a trivial view?

atttypmod would be a natural place for that stuff, if you can fit it
into 31 bits.  The bigger problem is how are you going to get
type-specific syntax through the Postgres parser?  Currently, all the
types that use typmod have to have special-purpose syntax to set it.
I'm not eager to see extension datatypes trying to do the same thing...