disable triggers isolated to transaction only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vick Khera
Subject disable triggers isolated to transaction only?
Date
Re: disable triggers isolated to transaction only?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: disable triggers isolated to transaction only?  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
List pgsql-general
I'm planning to split a large table into partitions.  During the
migration, all new data will be added to the sub-tables, and I will be
moving the data from the master table to the proper sub tables at the
same time.  The trick is that I have an INSERT trigger to keep track
of various counters.  I need to be able to disable that trigger for
the data I'm moving, yet leave it intact for the new data being
inserted.

My question is this: will ALTER TABLE ONLY $subtable DISABLE TRIGGER
ALL within a transaction only affect my transaction, or will it affect
anyone inserting into this subtable.  If it blocks external inserts
that's ok since my transactions are small while moving the data.  I
guess at worse I lock the table.