Re: number of page slots needed (1576544) exceeds max_fsm_pages (204800)] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vick Khera
Subject Re: number of page slots needed (1576544) exceeds max_fsm_pages (204800)]
Date
Re: number of page slots needed (1576544) exceeds max_fsm_pages (204800)]  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Reid Thompson <reid.thompson@ateb.com> wrote:
> Does this max_fsm_pages value seem OK for a 46GB database?
> I've clustered all the tables that seemed to be exhibiting large amounts
> of bloat.

My big DB is about 70 on disk.  I have fsm pages set to 3.4 million,
and occasionally that gets overrun.  It is nearly catastrophic to us
when that happens as performance takes a serious nose dive.  This is
probably the major reason switching to 8.4 is high on our list.  Our
DB has a *lot* of data churn, and that makes a lot of pages with space
on them to track.

One more thing you may wish to consider is running re-index on your
tables.  I found that a lot of pages with empty space were compacted
and the number of fsm entries went down significantly when I did this
last week.  For me this was more important than running cluster to
pack the data tables themselves.