Re: How to simulate crashes of PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vick Khera
Subject Re: How to simulate crashes of PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane<greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
> A server crash is a pretty rare event in the Postgres world, so I
> would not spend too many cycles on this...

I had one the other day caused by server resource issues: I ran out of
file descriptors when I had a very large surge in activity.  Pg
rightfully panicked and disconnected all my clients.

Only the well written ones recovered automagically. I had to restart a
handful of services :-(  It is wise to put the effort to testing your
client recovery strategy does work.

I must say that I haven't had a Postgres crash due to Postgres bug
since version 7.2 or so.