Re: Decrease in performance with 7.3/optimizing a query - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Decrease in performance with 7.3/optimizing a query
Date
List pgsql-novice
Harry <h3@x-maru.org> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> ...  You could be losing just on
>> the extra sort time needed for a non-C-locale sort.

> I don't see any setting described in postgresql.conf and playing around with
> LANG in the environment didn't make any difference. Is there somewhere in
> particular that I should be looking to set this? It sounds intriguing with
> regards to my problem.

I'm thinking the same.  Unfortunately, you cannot alter PG's locale
settings short of an initdb and reload :-( --- the interesting values
are frozen by initdb based on what it sees in its environment.

Before 7.3 the default build switches didn't include --enable-locale,
and so people wouldn't get bit by locale-related performance lossage.
I'm guessing that you've been so bit.

            regards, tom lane