Re: COPYable logs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: COPYable logs
Date
List pgsql-patches
> I'm looking at doing #1, but I'm not sure where I can sensibly check
> that redirection is on if cvslog destination is specified. I could check
> when elog() is called, but that seems wasteful. Any ideas?

It's only one extra bool test in elog(), isn't it?

    if ((Log_destination & LOG_DESTINATION_CSV) && Redirect_stderr)

Hardly seems worth major contortions to avoid, considering the number of
cycles an elog() call expends anyway.

I thought about adding an assign-hook for Log_destination that forbids
setting the CSV bit unless Redirect_stderr is set, but the trouble with
that is that it's making unsupportable assumptions about the order in
which the GUC variables will be set.

            regards, tom lane