Re: Postgres Enhancement Request - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres Enhancement Request
Date
List pgsql-general
Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> writes:
> Tom Lane schrieb am 20.03.2019 um 14:59:
>> No, it wouldn't.  The point of CREATEROLE is to allow user creation
>> and deletion to be done by a role that's less than full superuser.
>> If we changed it like that, then you'd be right back at needing
>> superuser for very routine role creations.  That's *not* an
>> improvement, even if it somehow fit better into the OP's desired
>> security model (which he hasn't explained).

> I didn't take this to be a request to remove the createdb privilege in general, but a request to have finer grained
controlwhat kind of privileges the role with createrole can grant to newly created roles (or what it can do in
general).

Hmm.  Thinking about it a bit more carefully, it does seem bogus that
a role that has CREATEROLE but not CREATEDB can make a role that has
the latter privilege.  It would be more sensible to have a uniform
rule that "you can't grant a privilege you don't have yourself",
which would mean that the OP's problem could perhaps be solved by
making a role that has CREATEROLE but not CREATEDB.

You could imagine going further and applying the full SQL privilege
model to these things, which would make it possible to have a role
that has CREATEDB (so can make DBs itself) but can't pass that
privilege on to others for lack of grant options on CREATEDB.
But that would be a very much bigger chunk of work, and I'm not sure
I see the payback.

            regards, tom lane