Re: Re: [HACKERS] contrib - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [HACKERS] contrib
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Joe Conway" <joe@conway-family.com> writes:
> While thinking about how to implement TABLE_PRIVILEGES view per SQL92, I
> realized that a function is needed to dynamically return the current
> database name, and current database owner.

Just out of curiosity, why are these needed for TABLE_PRIVILEGES?

> current_dbname() - returns name of current database
> current_dboid() - retuns oid of current database
> current_dbownername() - returns owner name of current database (based on
> datdba)
> current_dbownerid() - returns owner usesysid (well, more accurately datdba)

One thing to bear in mind is that the existing notion of databases
may need to be rethought when we implement SQL-style schemas (which
I hope will happen for 7.2).  It might be best to refrain from inventing
more functions until we see how the schema work settles out.

I haven't yet heard any serious discussion about how to integrate
the SQL-defined schema concepts with Postgres' traditional concept of
independent databases within an installation.  It's about time to have
that discussion though ...

            regards, tom lane