Re: make_greater_string() does not return a string in some cases - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: make_greater_string() does not return a string in some cases
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tatsuhito Kasahara <kasahara.tatsuhito@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> I have another idea.

> 1. We prepare new operators ( <,<=,>,=>,= ) for text and bytea.
> 2. In make_greater_string(), if
>    multi-byte-string was set and
>    using locale-C and
>    could not find greater string,
>    returns bytea which has greater byte-code of last-character.

> Is the idea reasonable ?

Maybe, but it only works for text_pattern_ops indexes not normal ones.
Not sure if people will be happy with maintaining a special index just
to cover this corner case.

I'm not convinced that there's enough of a problem here to be worth
sweating over.  If we're not able to generate a "greater" string with
the current rules, the odds are that the pattern is so close to the end
of the index range that a one-sided test is not going to make much
difference compared to a two-sided one.

            regards, tom lane