Re: Warning for exceeding max locks? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Warning for exceeding max locks?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> We ran into a problem with a customer this weekend. They had >128,000
> tables and we were trying to run a pg_dump. When we reached
> max_locks_per_transaction, the dump just hung waiting to lock the next
> table.

> Would it make sense to have some sort of timeout for that?

I don't think you have diagnosed this correctly.  Running out of lock
table slots generates an "out of shared memory" error, with a HINT that
you might want to increase max_locks_per_transaction.  If you can prove
otherwise, please supply a test case.