Re: Maximum password length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Maximum password length
Date
Re: Maximum password length  (Alexander Kukushkin <cyberdemn@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn@amazon.com> writes:
> On 10/12/18, 4:24 PM, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> Specific use-cases here would be better than hand-waving at "these other
>> things."  Last I checked, all of those work with what we've got today
>> and I don't recall hearing complaints about them not working due to this
>> limit.

> The main one I am thinking of is generated security tokens.  It seems
> reasonable to me to limit md5 and scram-sha-256 passwords to a much
> shorter length, but I think the actual server message limit should be
> somewhat more flexible.

Sure, but even a generated security token seems unlikely to be more
than a couple dozen bytes long.  What's the actual use-case for tokens
longer than that?  ISTM that a limit around 100 bytes already has a
whole lot of headroom.