Re: Porting from MySql - meta data issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Porting from MySql - meta data issues
Date
List pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> You can also use the pg_tables view, for example, and the system
> catalogs for the rest (pg_database, pg_attribute).

> Anyway, there's little use for SHOW queries, as you can always poke into
> the system catalogs. That's something you can't do in MySQL, and is the
> reason for the SHOW hack.

If we actually implement anything new in this line, it will presumably
be the SQL-standard-compliant INFORMATION_SCHEMA views.  Although as
far as I can see, those have nothing to recommend them except standards
compliance :-(.  "SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES" doesn't seem
to have any great advantage over either "\d" or whatever the equivalent
MySQL SHOW command is...

            regards, tom lane