Re: Multiple queries in transit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Multiple queries in transit
Date
Re: Multiple queries in transit  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: Multiple queries in transit  (Mark Hills <Mark.Hills@framestore.com>)
Re: Multiple queries in transit  (Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 31.10.2011 17:44, Mark Hills wrote:
>> Could libpq be reasonably modified to allow this?

> I believe it's doable in theory, no-one has just gotten around to it.
> Patches are welcome.

Can't you do that today with a multi-command string submitted to
PQsendQuery, followed by multiple calls to PQgetResult?

I'm hesitant to think about supporting the case more thoroughly than
that, or with any different semantics than that, because I think that
the error-case behavior will be entirely unintelligible/unmaintainable
unless you abandon all queries-in-flight in toto when an error happens.
Furthermore, in most apps it'd be a serious PITA to keep track of which
reply is for which query, so I doubt that such a feature is of general
usefulness.