Re: "create function... depends on extension..." not supported. Why? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "create function... depends on extension..." not supported. Why?
Date
Re: "create function... depends on extension..." not supported. Why?  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-general
Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> writes:
> The discussion has diverging threads and very many turns. I think that I managed to skim through the entire tree. As
Iread it, the discussion was entirely about the semantics of the proposed dependency of a function (or procedure) upon
anextension. The idea to establish such a dependency using “alter function” came up quite early in the discussion. It
seemsthat establishing it at “create function” time was never considered.

Probably not.  Just for the record, it's not true that CREATE and ALTER
always have the same set of options.  An obvious counterexample is that
you can't set the owner to someone different from yourself during CREATE.
There may be others.

I suppose that "DEPENDS ON EXTENSION" was modeled after the commands
to control extension membership, which likewise exist only in ALTER
form because CREATE's behavior for that is hard-wired.  If you wanted
to hand-wave a lot, you could maybe claim that ownership and extension
membership/dependency are similar kinds of relationships and so it
makes sense that the command structures for manipulating them are
similar.  But TBH that would probably be reverse-engineering an
explanation.  I think that "we didn't bother" is more nearly the
situation.

            regards, tom lane