Re: backend reset of database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: backend reset of database
Date
List pgsql-general
Geoffrey <esoteric@3times25.net> writes:
> A backtrace against this process produces:

> 0x0814acc9 in FileAccess (file=168481968) at fd.c:717
> 717             if (FileIsNotOpen(file))
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x0814acc9 in FileAccess (file=168481968) at fd.c:717
> #1  0x0814b2e7 in FileRead (file=168481968, buffer=0xbff816ce "", amount=2)
>      at fd.c:972
> #2  0x00203ecc in ?? ()

> I'm assuming that the portion of the backtrace from frame 2-12 is likely
> produced from the pcmiler binaries as we do not have source and they
> don't contain debugging symbols.

Is pcmiler a Postgres-specific backend extension?  It seems fairly
unlikely that it would be calling FileRead() if not.  Do you have any
other Postgres-specific libraries loaded into the backend?

The immediate issue is that FileRead() is being passed a bogus file
number, which might suggest an unexpected change in the contents of
a struct or something like that, but I see no record of any such changes
in the CVS log between 7.4.13 and 7.4.16.

            regards, tom lane