Re: BUG #17255: Server crashes in index_delete_sort_cmp() due to race condition with vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17255: Server crashes in index_delete_sort_cmp() due to race condition with vacuum
Date
List pgsql-bugs
>>> I'm just struggling with / procrastinating on the commit message, tbh. The
>>> whole issue is kinda complicated to explain... :/

> After struggling some more, I *finally* pushed the fix and the new assertions.

I'm writing release notes and wondering what I can tell users about
how to detect or recover from this bug.  Is a REINDEX sufficient,
or is the presence of the bogus redirect item going to cause
persistent problems?  If the latter, can we provide some amelioration?
"Your data is broken and there is nothing you can do about it"
is not nice to be writing in release notes.

            regards, tom lane