Re: I was spoiled by the MySQL timestamp field - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dev@archonet.com
Subject Re: I was spoiled by the MySQL timestamp field
Date
List pgsql-general
> As someone who is just getting started with PostygreSQL from years working
> with MySQL, it appears that the timestamp data type does not behave in the
> way it did with MySQL.

Much as I like MySQL, it can sometimes be a little *too* helpful.

> I got used to just defining a column as a timestamp
> and letting the database throw the latest time stamp in there whenever a
> row
> was updated. Is there anything simular in PosgreSQL?

When you create the table do something like:

CREATE TABLE foo (
  bar timestamp DEFAULT now(),
);

You can of course do this with any column-type and value. See the
SQL-reference for details.

- Richard Huxton