Re: way to turn off epochs in log_filename - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: way to turn off epochs in log_filename
Date
List pgsql-admin
David Lowry <dlowry@bju.edu> writes:
> 1. Logrotate moves the old log file to a new name, equivalent to
> something like this:
> mv postgresql.log postgresql.log.1
> In the mean time, PG keeps writing to the same file.
> 2. Logrotate sends a HUP (as configured in the logrotate conf) to the
> postmaster process, which causes PG to close the old log file
> (postgresql.log.1) and open a new one (postgresql.log).

> If I understand correctly, you're saying that this process either
> won't work or isn't portable. Is that correct?

Specifically, PG does not respond to SIGHUP in the way you are imagining
above.  The log-file-switch capability is either nonexistent (if no log
collector process) or built in (if log collector is active) and there
doesn't seem any value in driving the latter from outside PG.

            regards, tom lane