Re: the parsing of parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: the parsing of parameters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com> writes:
>> Hmm.  So your vision of PREPARE would allow the backend to reply
>> with a list of parameter types.  How would you envision that working
>> exactly?

>     I  guess there's some sort of statement identifier you use to
>     refer to something you've prepared. Wouldn't a function  call
>     returning a list of names or type oid's be sufficient?

I was thinking of having the type names returned unconditionally,
perhaps like a SELECT result (compare the new behavior of EXPLAIN).
But if we assume that this won't be a commonly used feature, maybe
a separate inquiry operation is better.