Re: PostgreSQL client hangs sometimes on 'EXEC SQL PREPARE sid_sisisinst FROM :select_anw;' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL client hangs sometimes on 'EXEC SQL PREPARE sid_sisisinst FROM :select_anw;'
Date
List pgsql-general
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> writes:
> I launched a shell script to get some more information in this case:

ok

> The process with the PID in question is 'postmaster':

Yeah, this should actually be a newly-forked postmaster child process,
but it won't have done anything yet to change its ps-visible command
line.

> postmaste 14622 postgres    9u     IPv4 131903453       0t0       TCP
srap32dxr1.dev.oclc.org:5432->srap32dxr1.dev.oclc.org:44836(ESTABLISHED)

OK, so it's gotten a TCP not Unix-socket connection; that's already
going to narrow things a little bit.

> Interestingly, the other side of this connection of the port 5432 is not
> visible, i.e. a 'lsof -P | grep 5432' does not show it in this moment.

Permissions problem maybe?  I'm not sure that lsof will tell you much
about non-postgres-owned processes, unless you run it as root.

            regards, tom lane