Re: Postgres on IBM z/OS 2.2.0 and 2.3.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres on IBM z/OS 2.2.0 and 2.3.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
parveen mehta <sim_mehta@yahoo.com> writes:
> I am researching whether an postgres installation can be done on Unix system services(USS) in z/OS. USS is a POSIX
compliantOS on z/OS and i wonder if you have any experience with installing it there that you can share with me. I
wouldbe highly appreciative of your comments and thoughts.

The last discussion around this [1] concluded that you'd probably crash
and burn due to z/OS wanting to use EBCDIC encoding.  There's a lot of
ASCII-related assumptions in our code, and nobody is interested in
trying to get rid of them.

It's possible that you could run the server in ASCII and treat EBCDIC
as a client-only encoding, which would limit the parts of the system
that would have to be cleansed of ASCII-isms to libpq and src/bin/.
But that's already a nontrivial headache I suspect.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/BLU437-SMTP4B3FF36035D8A3C3816D49C160%40phx.gbl