Re: extensible enum types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: extensible enum types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Well, we don't need the enum value to map into the entire oid range.
> Can't we just add one to the top-most value and see if there is a
> conflict?

If you don't use the OID counter to generate the new value, you're going
to have problems with race conditions.  There's also that small chance
that there is no free value before 2^32.

The bottom line here is not wanting a feature that "usually" works but
fails once in awhile on the basis of conditions the user can't control.