Re: [SQL] Using Aliases in Select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [SQL] Using Aliases in Select
Date
List pgsql-sql
Christian Rudow <Christian.Rudow@thinx.ch> writes:
> select tab1.name, tab1.mytext text1, tab2.mytext text2
> from tab1, tab2
> where tab1.tab1_id = tab2.tab1_id
> ERROR:  Column 'mytext' is ambiguous

As Oleg points out, you need to write AS text1 and so forth.  The AS
is not optional when labeling output columns, even though you are
allowed to leave it out in the FROM list.  But I am wondering about
the error message --- all the Postgres versions that I have sayERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "text1"
which may not be too helpful but at least it's not outright
misleading.  What version are you using?
        regards, tom lane