Re: best method of reloading pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: best method of reloading pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> But can't we read it only when needed ?
>> Just stat'ing it should be much cheaper than reading it each time.

We'd already created a precedent for read-on-HUP for postgresql.conf,
and no one seemed to be complaining about that.  So although this change
will doubtless annoy some existing users, I don't see a big problem
with it.  I'm happy to avoid the stat() call --- every kernel call we
can remove from the startup sequence is another small win.