Re: get_whatever_oid, part 1: object types with unqualifed names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: get_whatever_oid, part 1: object types with unqualifed names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> True. �Is it worth providing whatever_exists() macros that wrap
>> get_whatever_oid() like this, just so that callers are a bit clearer as
>> to what they're doing?

> I haven't made a detailed study of this issue, so I'm not 100% sure.
> My gut feeling however is that nearly all of the callers need the OID,
> and that some of the whatever_exists() functions wouldn't have any
> callers at all.  Which makes me pretty hesitant to add them,
> especially given our decision not to centralize all the
> get_whatever_oid() functions in one place.

Well, the whatever_exists() things would just be one-liner macros
declared in the same headers that declare the underlying
get_whatever_oid() functions.  So the cost of carrying ones that happen
to not be used would be nil.