Re: timestamp default values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: timestamp default values
Date
Re: timestamp default values  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-general
Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> If the current implementation of timenow() is truly obsolete, would it
> be verboten to change its return type?  We could rewrite the function
> to return timestamp, for example.

[ shrug... ]  This is just a variant of the choose-a-new-function-name
game.  If we are going to choose a new function name, choosing one that
collides with an existing name (obsolete or not) doesn't seem like a
win to me.  You could just as well choose another name, and avoid
angering whoever out there might still be using timenow().

BTW: at least with our current interpretation of these datatypes, the
only type that is sensible for a now()-like function to return is
timestamptz.  Not plain timestamp; that cannot be considered to
represent a well-defined instant at all.

            regards, tom lane