Re: [WIP] The relminxid addition, try 3 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [WIP] The relminxid addition, try 3
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> (Now, if you're combining this with the very grotty relpages/reltuples
>> update code, then I'm all for making that xlog properly --- we've gotten
>> away without it so far but it really should xlog the change.)

> I hadn't done that, but I'll see what I can do.  Notice however that I'm
> doing this in both pg_class _and_ pg_database.

BTW, one thing I was looking at last week was whether we couldn't
refactor the relpages/reltuples updates to be done in a cleaner place.
Right now UpdateStats is called (for indexes) directly from the index
AM, which sucks from a modularity point of view, and what's worse it
forces two successive updates of the same tuple during CREATE INDEX.
We should reorganize things so this is done once at the outer level.
It'd require some change of the ambuild() API, but considering we're
hacking several other aspects of the AM API in this development cycle,
that doesn't bother me.

            regards, tom lane