Re: Dependency tracking tool - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Dependency tracking tool
Date
List pgsql-general
"Philippe Lang" <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> writes:
> In order to have a "global map" of the dependencies of the functions,
> views, tables in a PG database, I'd like to have some sort of
> "dependency tracking tool", that would show for each object:

> - which other objects depend on this object
> - on which other objects this object depends

You can find the raw data for that in pg_depend; at least for the sorts
of dependencies that PG cares about, which might not be exactly what you
are looking for.  In particular we do not try to track what objects the
code inside a function might refer to.

> Is it correct to say that this "hierarchy" does not exist inside
> Postgresql, and that it is necessary to parse the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.*
> tables to get this information?

The information_schema views do not expose that information at all.

            regards, tom lane