Re: Problems with autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problems with autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-performance
> I've been giving this some thought and tried several approaches.  In the
> end the one that I like the most is raising autovacuum_naptime to a
> reasonable value for the exiting number of databases.  The only problem
> I have with it is that it's trivial to change it in the autovacuum
> launcher process and have it stick, but there's no way to propagate the
> value out to backends or postmaster to that they SHOW the actual value
> in use by the launcher.  The best I can do is emit a WARNING with the
> new value.

Well, that code isn't even correct I think; you're not supposed to
modify a GUC variable directly.  I think you should just silently
use a naptime of at least X without changing the nominal GUC variable.
And definitely without the WARNING --- that's nothing but log spam.

            regards, tom lane