Re: Inconsistent Errors on Row Comparisons - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: Inconsistent Errors on Row Comparisons
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun 30, 2009, at 11:27 AM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

>    # Failed test 148
>    #     Number of columns differs between queries
>    #         have: 4 columns
>    #         want: 3 columns
>
>    # Failed test 149
>    #     Column types differ between queries
>    #         have: (integer,text)
>    #         want: (inet,text)
>
> This gives the tester a lot of information to help diagnose the test
> failure. I don't know that I can gather that kind of information,
> though.

Actually, I can for `set_eq()`, since it creates a temporary table, I
can just get the list of types from the system catalog. Is there a way
to get a RECORD object to tell me what data types it contains? Then I
could use the same error for both situations, since the difference in
the number of columns is implicit in the list of data types:
   # Failed test 148   #     Column types differ between queries   #         have: (integer,text,integer)   #
want:(inet,text)

   # Failed test 149   #     Column types differ between queries   #         have: (integer,text)   #         want:
(inet,text)

Thanks,

David