Re: Trailing semicolons in psql patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Trailing semicolons in psql patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
> The basic issue is that I think we can conclude that any trailing
> semicolon on a line with a backslash command can be dropped.

I agree with this premise ... but stated that way, the patch does
entirely the wrong thing, because it's stripping trailing semis at
the word level not the line level.  I think it's a lot more surprising
to drop the semi in

        \x foo; bar

than when it's actually at the end of the line.

How about stripping trailing semis (perhaps whitespace too?) before
the line is broken into words?

            regards, tom lane