Re: Removing duplicate rows in table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Removing duplicate rows in table
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/10/24 08:29, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2024, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> Is there a Primary Key or Unique index on this table?
>
> Adrian,
>
> No. It didn't occur to me to make the project number a PK as this table is
> not related to others in the database.
>
> But, yesterday it occurred to me to make the proj_nbr a PK to eliminate
> future issues.

You might want to do something like:

select proj_nbr, count(*) as ct from projects group by proj_nbr;

to see how big a problem it is. If it is only a few projects it could
just a matter of manually deleting the extras.

Whatever you do:

1) Make sure you have a backup of at least that table.

2) Do the data changes as BEGIN; <changes> COMMIT; or ROLLBACK;

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com