Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-general
serafin segador <rsegador@yahoo.com> writes:
> i ported a small application to postgresql 8.2 originally written to store data in maxdb.  since stored procedures
arenot supported in postgresql and since postgresql functions cannot return cursor to the calling applications, i
rewrotethe maxdb stored procedures into functions that store rows in temp tables and return the temp table name to the
application( saves on coding the select string in the application) , and retrieve the rows from the temp table within
thesame session.  this i can no longer do after upgrading to 8.3.  is there any thing i can do to restore this
functionalityi can get in 8.2, like configuration tweaking, apart from recoding the select string in the application.

Er ... say what?

> stored procedures are not supported in postgresql

This is a false statement, unless perhaps for a very narrow definition
of "stored procedure", which you didn't specify.

> and since postgresql functions cannot return cursor to the
> calling applications,

Likewise a false statement.

> i rewrote the maxdb stored procedures into
> functions that store rows in temp tables and return the temp table
> name to the application ( saves on coding the select string in the
> application) , and retrieve the rows from the temp table within the
> same session.  this i can no longer do after upgrading to 8.3.

I do not know any reason why a feature in this vicinity would have
disappeared in 8.3.

If you want help, you need to be a lot more specific about exactly what
you did and exactly what failure you saw.  And a bit less FUD-spouting
would probably make people more inclined to assist you.

            regards, tom lane