Re: OpenSSL 1.1 breaks configure and more - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OpenSSL 1.1 breaks configure and more
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 8/26/16 5:31 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> I think now would be a good time to drop support for OpenSSL versions
>> older than 0.9.8. OpenSSL don't even support 0.9.8 anymore, although
>> there are probably distributions out there that still provide patches
>> for it. But OpenSSL 0.9.7 and older are really not interesting for
>> PostgreSQL 10 anymore, I think.

> CentOS 5 currently ships 0.9.8e.  That's usually the oldest OS we want
> to support eagerly.

Also, I get this on fully-up-to-date OS X (El Capitan):

$ openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8zh 14 Jan 2016

Worth noting though is that without -Wno-deprecated-declarations, you
find that Apple has sprinkled the entire OpenSSL API with deprecation
warnings.  That suggests that their plan for the future is to drop it
rather than update it.  Should we be thinking ahead to that?
        regards, tom lane

PS: I still have 0.9.7 on some of my buildfarm critters.  But I could
either update them, or stop using --with-openssl there.