Re: avoid multiple hard links to same WAL file after a crash - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: avoid multiple hard links to same WAL file after a crash
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 5:12 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If this diagnosis is correct, the comment is proved to be paranoid.

> It's sometimes difficult to understand what problems really old code
> comments are worrying about. For example, could they have been
> worrying about bugs in the code? Could they have been worrying about
> manual interference with the pg_wal directory? It's hard to know.

"git blame" can be helpful here, if you trace back to when the comment
was written and then try to find the associated mailing-list discussion.
(That leap can be difficult for commits pre-dating our current
convention of including links in the commit message, but it's usually
not *that* hard to locate contemporaneous discussion.)