Re: BUG #13733: ~/.psql_history* corrupted - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #13733: ~/.psql_history* corrupted
Date
Re: BUG #13733: ~/.psql_history* corrupted  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-bugs
news@emmanuelsambo.com writes:
> Bug reference:      13733
> Logged by:          Emmanuel Sambo
> Email address:      news@emmanuelsambo.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4.5
> Operating system:   Apple Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.1

> Upgrading from PostgreSQL 9.4.4 to 9.4.5 deleted my entire psql history in
> two of my ~/.psql_history-<db>
> Looking at this file I can see:
> - all the spaces are encoded as utf-8: "\040"
> - each history entry is truncated at 1021 characters

This probably means you accidentally switched from using libedit to
libreadline, or vice versa, when you rebuilt Postgres.  They're not
very compatible as to history file format :-(

            regards, tom lane