Re: Partial indices - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Partial indices
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
>> Are Partial Indices still supported into latest release of PostgreSQL?

> I think they have suffered some serious bit-rot over the years
> and are no longer functional, although some of the core code
> still exists in the backend.

Actually, quite a LOT of partial-index support code still exists in the
backend.  Someone removed support for the "WHERE predicate" clause of
CREATE INDEX from the grammar, but I don't know when or why that was
done.  AFAICT everything is still there to support the feature
downstream, and it doesn't look particularly bit-rotted.

Someday when we don't have any more-pressing problems, I'd like to try
to re-enable that support.  At the very least I might learn why it
was disabled ;-)

(Hey Bruce, do we have a TODO item for "Fix partial indices"?)

            regards, tom lane