Re: ECPG/OpenBSD buildfarm failures, take I - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ECPG/OpenBSD buildfarm failures, take I
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> In Plauger's _The Standard C Library_ (1992) on p 335 is an excerpt
> from the standard (I think).   At the end of a section entitled
> "7.10.1.4 The strtod function" is the following: "If the correct
> value would cause underflow, zero is returned and the value of the
> macro ERANGE is stored in errno."

The Single Unix Spec also makes it clear that ERANGE on underflow is not
optional:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/strtod.html

I think there is no question that OpenBSD is broken.  The question for
us is whether we should expend effort to work around that.  We already
have a "small-is-zero" workaround comparison file in the main regression
tests, so my thought is that ecpg should probably do likewise ...