Re: Decent VACUUM (was: Buglist) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Decent VACUUM (was: Buglist)
Date
List pgsql-general
Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg@aon.at> writes:
> Good point.  What about:  Whenever a backend *deletes* a tuple it
> inserts a reference to its page into the RSM?  Then an entry in the
> RSM doesn't necessarily mean that the referenced page has reclaimable
> space, but it would still be valueable information.

That might work if the RSM were lossless, but in practice I think it'd
have to be lossy, like the FSM.  Which would mean that you'd still have
to do full-scan vacuums fairly regularly to make sure you hadn't
forgotten any freeable tuples.  Conceivably it could be a win, though,
if you could do frequent "vacuum decent"s and only a full-scan vacuum
once in awhile (once a day maybe).

            regards, tom lane