Re: PSQL/pgAdmin - Column Completion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PSQL/pgAdmin - Column Completion
Date
Re: PSQL/pgAdmin - Column Completion  (dvlsg <dave@clubspeed.com>)
List pgsql-general
dvlsg <dave@clubspeed.com> writes:
> I have been having issues with autocomplete in pgAdmin. After some searching,
> I found it was my mistake and that pgAdmin doesn't actually support column
> autocompletion in select statements. I found that pgAdmin uses the
> autocomplete code directly from psql's tab-complete.c, which contains these
> comments in the current version starting on line 3387:

> /* SELECT */
>    /* naah . . . */

> Is there any talk of this functionality being added in the future?

No.  What would the autocompletion be based on?  You don't know any
referenced table names at that point, for instance.

> I find it
> a bit disappointing that other applications such as HeidiSQL can
> autocomplete column names from tables/aliases/etc, but pgAdmin cannot.

The only algorithm I can imagine using would be to autocomplete every
column and function name existing in the database.  While this might be
helpful in toy databases, it's hard to imagine it being very convenient,
or performant, in real-world situations.

            regards, tom lane