Re: Deprecating non-select rules (was Re: Last gasp) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Deprecating non-select rules (was Re: Last gasp)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Here is what I know and what comes to my mind right now:

> 1. anything but INSTEAD rules are unsafe

How so?  I agree that volatile functions are problematic, but unless
there's one of those in the picture I think rules work pretty much as
documented.

> 3. the snapshots behaviour of an expanded statement is a bit confusing if it
> contains multiple statements which causes problems with the rather frequent
> attempts to build rules with upsert'is behaviour

Again, not sure what you're complaining about here.

> A very trivial, seemingly innocuous, but totally broken usage of rules:

The problem illustrated here is all down to nextval() being volatile,
no?